Saturday, July 2, 2011

Week one: No artifical colors/flavors.

I was talking to one of the other "dance class moms". She was watching Babyum and commented how her son used to do some of the same things. Didn't talk until later, always on the move, crazy. Then she told me about a book she found detailing links between behavior and food dyes. I'd heard a bit about it before, but never really though to look into it. So I found a book at the library (Why Can't My Child Behave by Jane Hersey), started reading, and decided to try it out. We started on Monday, so almost a week ago. I've been good about artificial colors and flavors, but I found a couple things I was forgetting to cut out. A couple preservatives that are a no no on the Feingold program. I think it's too early to tell right now, but he seems to have calmed down a little and is definitely trying to say more words. One of my favorite right now is how he says cantaloupe, it's opa-opa. I figure the diet is good for all of us, more natural foods, less processed junk. We'll all eat healthier and feel better. It's a win-win. I'm going to get rid of those saltines that were hiding some no no's and get back on track, but all in all we've been doing well. No one has had a meltdown over the lack of candy, they're all too busy enjoying the fresh fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment