Thursday, July 14, 2011

Work at home mama status, here I come!

I'm getting serious with this sewing thing. This weekend I will put together my online store and I'm working now on stock to fill it with. I've got cloth napkins, nursing pads, baby wipes, diaper bags, purses, totes and more! I love sewing and making people happy. I love to see or hear (or read about) reactions to my creations. It really lets me feel like I'm making a difference. And since I'm a moderate "green" lady, I love helping others get a little more green, too, with reusable items.

What really got me started was making my own diaper bag. I switched to cloth and found I couldn't fit what I wanted to in my old diaper bag, so I found some awesome material and made my own. I started with a basic bag, a couple pockets inside, and toted it around for a while. While I loved it, I thought it could use some improvements and accessories. Off to bag #2, with 4 pockets inside (each big enough to hold 2 cloth diapers!) an outside front pocket for my grocery lists and other papers, 2 side pockets that fit 2 sippy cups each, and room inside for a spare set of clothes, books, toys, Babyums favorite aden + anais blanket, my wallet, and a roll up car mat. I added a removable wet bag to the back, a removable binky pouch to the front and a wallet cover for me to use inside. Finally, a bag I can fit everything in, and is fashionable, too!

After my dream bag was done, I moved to some cloth napkins for home. Not only are we not throwing away GOBS of paper towels anymore, we are saving money! We used to go through those huge packages in a little less than 2 weeks, now I'm buying one roll and it lasts us over a month. I have enough cloth to wash every 4 days or so, and the extra laundry is worth the money savings we get.

Cloth baby wipes and nursing pads were next. If Babyum is wearing cloth diapers, why not wipes, too!? I use flannel and Joann's soft and comfy fabric, turned and topstitched. I love the soft and comfy fabric for these, cleans so well! My nursing pads are 6+ layers of flannel backed with rip stop nylon and are stitched so they are a bit of a contoured for comfort.

I made fleece baby pants when the winter came so fast I couldn't get to the store. One day we were wearing shorts, the next we needed long pants and jackets. So I stayed in and sewed them.

Then came Christmas and the roll up car playmat, crayon rolls, fleece hats and other fun items. Even little monster dolls, cute!

Anyway, I may have gotten a bit carried away here, and I need to get back to the sewing room (AKA the dining room we never eat in!) and get busy with more items for the store. Hopefully I can make YOU something fun soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment